About the Blog:

Guelph Politico is locally sourced and dedicated to covering the political and cultural scene in the City of Guelph. Est. 2008.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wanna be a Guest Columnist on Guelph Politico?

As part of my self-appointed job to encourage civic participation in our community with the upcoming municipal election, I’m opening the doors of my blog to people who wish to contribute their thoughts and opinions on the issues of Guelph 2010. Interested?

Here’s what you need to do to pitch me:

1) You have to have an opinion on an issue
2) You need to be Average Joe Citizen. You can’t be running for an elected position
3) Also, obviously, you have to be a citizen of the City of Guelph

If you meet all three, then the way is open free and clear. To begin, e-mail me at adamadonaldson[at]gmail[dot]com with your name, who you are and what your issue is. Once I confirm your pitch, the way is clear for you to start putting pen to paper, or key strokes to computer screen if you like.

Here’s the specs:

1) Your piece can be as long or as short as you like, though generally speaking the 1,000 word mark is a good target to aim for length-wise
2) I’m interested in issues, which means no name-calling, ideology, demagoguery, or excessive use of colourful metaphors (swear words)
3) Also, I want to avoid candidate endorsements, however if a particular candidate has a policy direction that you feel will move your issue in the right direction, you’re free to cite him or her

Additionally:

Please make sure that I have the correct spelling of your name and a brief one or two line bio. If, for some reason, you don’t want your name published on Guelph Politico, I’ll be happy to consider your request.

DEADLINE: The last day I’ll be accepting pitches is October 18th at 6 pm. Careful observers will recognize that this is exactly one week before the election, so if you’re one of the last ones in make it count.

I hope I’ve made this process as simple as it possibly can be. I look forward to hearing from you guys and learning what you’re interested in this election cycle.

No comments: