About the Blog:

Guelph Politico is locally sourced and dedicated to covering the political and cultural scene in the City of Guelph. Est. 2008.

Friday, September 10, 2010

U of G Wants to Drop the Hate

So the school year's not even a week old, and University of Guelph President Alastair Summerlee was so aghast by an incident of vandalism on campus that his office forwarded this letter to, what I assume, is anyone with a uoguelph e-mail address. (Which I have as a U of G alumnus.) I decided to share it here for many reasons, not the least of which is to add my voice to the condemnation of such stupidity on, what's supposed to be, an institute for higher learning. But I guess some of us have more learning to do then we think, as well as some growing up.

Here's Summerlee's letter:

I am deeply saddened to report to our community that we have experienced two instances of hate graffiti of a racist nature in our student residences.

The University of Guelph takes all acts of hate very seriously and refers all incidents to the City of Guelph police.

The residence community responded quickly. In addition to meeting with the houses impacted, Student Housing Services will be developing a poster campaign and Student Life will be rolling out Diversity-in-Action Poster campaign in September. The Central Student Association will also be introducing some educational campaigns. They will be advertised over the next few weeks.

I have posted a video on You-Tube that conveys the University's values. I encourage you to view it and share it with others.



I am asking members of the community to join me in condemning such acts of hatred.

The University of Guelph is a community committed to civility and mutual respect and, as such, will not tolerate such hurtful actions.

We ask anyone with information about this incident to please come forward and call Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or our campus police at Ext. 52245.

This is a community that respects the rights of all its members. I encourage you to join me in working to ensure that the University's core beliefs and ideals prevail over closed-minded acts of
intolerance.

Alastair Summerlee

No comments: