Twice-monthly, Guelph Politico posts the latest inspection results from the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Unit inspection of local restaurants, hotels, cafes, grocery stores and other businesses that handle food. We call it "Mangez!", and this column highlights the latest inspections done by WDGPH, and the results they've posted.
Here are the inspections done between March 16-30 according to the "Check Before You Choose" website.
*No infractions found
- Boston Pizza, 35 Woodlawn Rd W
- Buns Master Bakery, 256 Silvercreek Pky N
- Delhi Street Bistro, 64 Delhi St
- e-Bar, 41 Quebec St
- Esso - On the Run, 110 Silvercreek Pky N
- Get Baked!, 259 Grange Rd
- Golden Basil, 370 Stone Rd W
- Goody's Restaurant, 13 - 485 Silvercreek Pkwy N
- Greek Flame, 543 Speedvale Ave E
- Guelph Montessori School, 151 Waterloo Ave
- Insomnia Cafe and Deli, 1 - 649 Scottsdale Dr
- Planet Bean Coffee, 259 Grange Rd
- Platters Catering and Events, 3 Watson Rd S
- R.U. Serious Restaurant, 22 - 130 Silvercreek Pky N
- St. Joseph's Health Centre, 100 Westmount Rd
- Sun's Convenience, 262 Eramosa Rd
- Sweet!, 22 Carden Street
- Tim Hortons, 490 Woodlawn Rd E
- Tito's Pizza, 50 Dovercliffe Rd
- Village of Riverside Glen, 60 Woodlawn Rd E
- Wsushi, 235 Edinburgh Rd S
*Non-critical infraction: An infraction (violation) that is not likely to lead to food-borne illness or infection (e.g., lighting is not bright enough for food preparation or work areas).
- Booster Juice, 5 - 105 Clair Rd E (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Laza Food and Beverages Inc., 74 Ontario St (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Montessori School of Wellington, 68 Suffolk St W (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- My Pizza Place, 951 Gordon St City of Guelph (3 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Penny Whistle, 2 Quebec St (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Red Brick Café, 8 Douglas St (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
*Critical infraction: A violation found during an inspection that could be a health hazard.
- Appetizingly Yours Event and Catering, 23 Garibaldi St (1 Critical, 1 Non-Critical)
- Bakery at With the Grain, 295 Woolwich St (1 Critical)
- Café Greek Garden, 497 York Rd (1 Critical, 3 Non-Critical)
- Capistrano Caffé-Bar, 42 Wyndham St N (1 Critical)
- Kelsey's Restaurant, 124 Woodlawn Rd W (1 Critical, 1 Non-Critical)
- Let's Eat, 140 Hadati Rd (1 Critical)
- Mi Casita, B - 447 Elizabeth St (1 Critical)
- Ouderkirk and Taylor, 3 Wyndham St N (2 Critical, 2 Non-Critical)
- Soora Restaurant, 1B - 45 Cork St E (1 Critical)
- Swiss Chalet, 138 Woodlawn Rd W (1 Critical, 1 Non-Critical)
- Victoria Pub and Grill, 259 Grange Rd (1 Critical)
- Zehrs Markets, 1045 Paisley Rd (1 Critical)
*Immediate threat to Public Health
So what happens if there's an infraction?
After a routine inspection, the operator must correct infractions (violations) as soon as possible. Public Health staff may follow up with a second inspection, known as a re-inspection, depending on how severe the infraction is. Where there is a critical infraction, we re-inspect within 72 hours (3 business days). For infractions that don't pose an immediate risk to the public, we often follow up at the next routine inspection. If an operator doesn't correct all critical infractions by the first re-inspection, we may take legal action. Serious infractions that pose an immediate threat to public health may result in an establishment being closed or Public Health issuing a legal order under the Health Protection and Promotion Act (HPPA).
Curious about the restaurant or establishment you're going to, check out "Check Before You Choose" before you head out the door.