Twice-monthly, Guelph Politico posts the latest inspection results from the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Unit inspection of local restaurants, hotels, cafes, grocery stores and other businesses that handle food. We call it "Mangez!", and this column highlights the latest inspections done by WDGPH, and the results they've posted.
Here are the inspections done between March 16-30 according to the "Check Before You Choose" website.*No infractions found
- Bishop Macdonell Cath.S.S., 200 Clair Rd W
- Bite Guelph - Events & Catering, 187 - 5420 Highway 6 N
- East Side Mario's, 370 Stone Rd W
- Edo Japan, 435 Stone Rd W
- Greenroom, 41 Quebec St
- KFC/Taco Bell, 435 Stone Rd W
- Lakeside Child Care Centre, 7654 Conservation Road
- M&N Macdonell Village Grill & Salads, 70 Macdonell St
- McDonald's, 372 Stone Rd W
- Milano Pizza, 79 Macdonell St
- Montessori Academy Learning Centre, 286 Water St.
- Pizza Pizza, 380 Eramosa Rd
- Ray's Chinese Restaurant, 35 Harvard Rd
- Sleeman Centre - Draught Picks Tap House & Grill, 50 Woolwich St
- Smokin' Tony's Bar-B-Que, 3 - 204 Silvercreek Parkway N
- Starbucks Coffee, 11 Clair Rd W
- Swiss Chalet, 502 Edinburgh Rd S
- Tangy & Tasty Restaurant Inc., 75 Macdonell St
- Thai Express, 102 - 79 Clair Rd E
- Tim Hortons, 987 Gordon St
- Victoria Park East Golf Club, 1096 Victoria Rd S
*Non-critical infraction: An infraction (violation) that is not likely to lead to food-borne illness or infection (e.g., lighting is not bright enough for food preparation or work areas).
- Best Western Royal Brock Hotel and Conference Centre, 716 Gordon St (2 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Captain Jack's Restaurant, 450 Woodlawn Rd W (2 Non-Critical Infractions)
- College Place, 166 College Ave W (1 Non-Critical Infractions)
- e-Bar, 41 Quebec St (1 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Eggcetra Restaurant & Deli, 216 Victoria Rd S (3 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Gino's Pizza, 370 - Stone Road W. (1 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Italian Canadian Club, 135 Ferguson St (2 Non-Critical Infractions)
- La Cucina, 2nd Floor - 25 Macdonell St (1 Non-Critical Infractions)
- St. Joseph's Health Centre - Out'n About Adult Day Program, 69 Huron St (1 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Turtle Jack's Muskoka Grill, 515 Woodlawn Rd W (1 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Village of Riverside Glen, 60 Woodlawn Rd E (4 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Zen Gardens, 104 Surrey St E (1 Non-Critical Infractions)
*Critical infraction: A violation found during an inspection that could be a health hazard.
- BarBurrito, 7 - 35 Harvard Rd (1 Critical)
- Buns Master Bakery, 256 Silvercreek Pky N (2 Critical)
- Chartwell Wellington Park Retirement Residence, 181 Janefield Ave (1 Critical)
- Coffee Time Donuts, 247 Eramosa Rd (1 Critical, 2 Non-Critical)
- Evergreen Senior Centre, 683 Woolwich St (1 Critical)
- Guelph Fuji Japanese Restaurant, 78 Carden St (2 Critical, 1 Non-Critical)
- Northwest Cafe, 1 Stone Rd W (1 Critical, 2 Non-Critical)
- Sandi's Kitchen, 44 Terry Blvd (1 Critical)
*Immediate threat to Public Health
So what happens if there's an infraction?
After a routine inspection, the operator must correct infractions (violations) as soon as possible. Public Health staff may follow up with a second inspection, known as a re-inspection, depending on how severe the infraction is. Where there is a critical infraction, we re-inspect within 72 hours (3 business days). For infractions that don't pose an immediate risk to the public, we often follow up at the next routine inspection. If an operator doesn't correct all critical infractions by the first re-inspection, we may take legal action. Serious infractions that pose an immediate threat to public health may result in an establishment being closed or Public Health issuing a legal order under the Health Protection and Promotion Act (HPPA).
Curious about the restaurant or establishment you're going to, check out "Check Before You Choose" before you head out the door.