Twice-monthly, Guelph Politico posts the latest inspection results from the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Unit inspection of local restaurants, hotels, cafes, grocery stores and other businesses that handle food. We call it "Mangez!", and this column highlights the latest inspections done by WDGPH, and the results they've posted.
Here are the inspections done between May16-31 according to the "Check Before You Choose" website.
*No infractions found
- Borealis Grille and Bar, 1388 Gordon St
- Cornerstone, 1 Wyndham St N
- Delta Hotel and Conference Centre - Fifty West Restaurant, 50 Stone Rd W
- Double Double Pizza & Chicken, 666 Woolwich Street
- Gino's Pizza, C - 119 Silvercreek Pky N
- Guelph Bible Conference, 485 Waterloo Ave
- Guelph Caribbean Cuisine, 45 Cork St E
- Guelph Curling Club, 816 Woolwich St
- Harvest Café, 100 Stone Rd W
- Italia Salami Company Ltd, 16 Fair Rd
- Jarzie's Indoor Golf, 171-175 Dawson Rd
- Joint Cafe, 43 Cork Street E
- Kirtida's Khana Khazana, 31 Curzon Cres
- Menchie's Frozen Yogurt, 4 - 292 Stone Rd W
- Milestone's Restaurant, 185 Stone Road W
- Moe's Gourmet Plus, 764 Willow Rd
- Pizza La Villa, 1 - 115 Downey Rd
- Rawlicious, 60 Carden St
- Red Brick Café, 77 Westmount Rd
- U of G - Library Starbucks, 50 Stone Road E.
- U of G - MACKS Snack Bar, 50 Stone Road E.
- U of G - Ontario Veterinary College - Second Cup, 50 Stone Rd E
- U of G - Science Complex - Second Cup, 50 Stone Rd E
- U of G - UC Food Court - Tim Hortons, 50 Stone Rd E
- Welcome In Drop-In Centre, 23 Gordon St
- With The Grain, 294 Woolwich St
- Woodlawn Bowl, 253 Woodlawn Rd W
*Non-critical infraction: An infraction (violation) that is not likely to lead to food-borne illness or infection (e.g., lighting is not bright enough for food preparation or work areas).
- Curb Side Grill, 127 Stone Rd W (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Frank and Stein's, 12 Wyndham St N (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Great Canadian Bagel, 370 Stone Rd West (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Red Papaya Thai & Grill, 31 - 55 Wyndham St N (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Spice Roots and Indian Authenticity, 200 Kortright Rd W (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- U of G - Brass Taps, 50 Stone Rd E (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
*Critical infraction: A violation found during an inspection that could be a health hazard.
- Hasty Market, 106 Carden St (1 Critical, 1 Non-Critical)
- Moe's Gourmet, 55 Wyndham St N (1 Critical)
- Real Deal Sports Bar and Billiards, 224 Victoria Rd S (2 Critical, 1 Non-Critical)
*Immediate threat to Public Health
So what happens if there's an infraction?
After a routine inspection, the operator must correct infractions (violations) as soon as possible. Public Health staff may follow up with a second inspection, known as a re-inspection, depending on how severe the infraction is. Where there is a critical infraction, we re-inspect within 72 hours (3 business days). For infractions that don't pose an immediate risk to the public, we often follow up at the next routine inspection. If an operator doesn't correct all critical infractions by the first re-inspection, we may take legal action. Serious infractions that pose an immediate threat to public health may result in an establishment being closed or Public Health issuing a legal order under the Health Protection and Promotion Act (HPPA).
Curious about the restaurant or establishment you're going to, check out "Check Before You Choose" before you head out the door.