Twice-monthly, Guelph Politico posts the latest inspection results from the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Unit inspection of local restaurants, hotels, cafes, grocery stores and other businesses that handle food. We call it "Mangez!", and this column highlights the latest inspections done by WDGPH, and the results they've posted.
Here are the inspections done between March 16-30 according to the "Check Before You Choose" website.
*No infractions found
- Airpark Cafe, 50 Skyway Dr
- Babel Fish Bistro, 80 Macdonell St
- Cadence, 88 Yarounth St
- Centennial C.V.I. Cafeteria, 289 College Ave W
- College Heights Secondary School Bakeshop, 371 College Ave W
- College Heights Secondary School Cafeteria, 371 College Ave W
- Edible Arrangements, 5A - 292 Stone Rd W
- Food Basics, 380 Eramosa Rd
- Goodness Me! Natural Food Market, 36 Wellington St W
- Guelph Collegiate Vocational Institute, 155 Paisley St
- Hasty Market, 159 Fife Rd
- Manhattan Pizza, 951 Gordon St
- McDonald's, 65 Gordon St
- My Pizza Place, 951 Gordon St
- Our Lady Of Lourdes High School, 54 Westmount Rd
- Publix Variety, 804 York Rd
- Second Cup, 369 Gordon St
- Starbucks Coffee, 89 Gordon Street, Unit C-4
- Subway, 247 Eramosa Rd
- Subway, 130 Silvercreek Pky N
- Trotters, 42 Cork Street E
- Woolwich Arrow, A - 176 Woolwich St
- Zehrs Markets - Bento Nouveau, 297 Eramosa Rd
*Non-critical infraction: An infraction (violation) that is not likely to lead to food-borne illness or infection (e.g., lighting is not bright enough for food preparation or work areas).
- Jumbo 3 For 1 Pizza & Wings, 5 - 159 Fife Rd (2 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Kids Come First, 1416 Gordon St (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Killer Cupcakes Goremet, 32 A Wilson Street (3 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Menchie's Frozen Yogurt,4 - 292 Stone Rd W (3 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Metro, 500 Edinburgh Rd S (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Na-Ha-Thai's Kitchen, 471 York Road (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Oven Ready, 111 Watson Rd S (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Sapphire Cafe & Lounge, 17 Macdonell St (7 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Tim Hortons, 204 Victoria Rd S (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Zehrs Markets, 297 Eramosa Rd (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
*Critical infraction: A violation found during an inspection that could be a health hazard.
- Angelino's Fresh Choice Market, 16 Stevenson St S (1 Critical)
- Boathouse Tea Room, 116 Gordon St (1 Critical, 2 Non-Critical)
- Galt Juice Company, 122 Wyndham St N (1 Critical, 1 Non-Critical)
- Lisa's Cookhouse, 919 York Rd (1 Critical)
- Old Fashion Deli, 256 Silvercreek Pky N (1 Critical)
- West End Bakery, 105 Wyndham St N (2 Critical)
- Wings Up, 32 - 328 Speedvale Ave E (1 Critical, 3 Non-Critical)
*Immediate threat to Public Health
So what happens if there's an infraction?
After a routine inspection, the operator must correct infractions (violations) as soon as possible. Public Health staff may follow up with a second inspection, known as a re-inspection, depending on how severe the infraction is. Where there is a critical infraction, we re-inspect within 72 hours (3 business days). For infractions that don't pose an immediate risk to the public, we often follow up at the next routine inspection. If an operator doesn't correct all critical infractions by the first re-inspection, we may take legal action. Serious infractions that pose an immediate threat to public health may result in an establishment being closed or Public Health issuing a legal order under the Health Protection and Promotion Act (HPPA).
Curious about the restaurant or establishment you're going to, check out "Check Before You Choose" before you head out the door.