The annual Doors Open Guelph Event is taking place Saturday April 27th from 10 to 4, one of several similar events taking place in 200 communities across Ontario later this month. But here in the Royal City, the Guelph Arts Council has revealed the list of sites for this year's 12th annual event.
The list of 12 sites include some old buildings and some new buildings, churches, performance venues, office buildings and even a nature walk. There are also special treats for those taking part at certain sites. From the GAC press release:
Doors at the Sleeman Centre will be wide open with a rare opportunity to access the facilities belonging to The Guelph Storm. In addition, Sleeman Centre will also play home to an art exhibit featuring the work of local artist as they pay tribute to the Petrie Building. Live performances featuring the St. Andrew’s Church organist and pianist will take place at the top of every hour. Finally, you’ll get a chance to see some behind the scenes action as the award-winning Guelph Chamber Choir prepares for their evening performance at the River Run Centre.
All Doors Open events are free to attend. For more information, go to GAC's website at
Here's the list of Doors Open Guelph locations with tour details.
1. Gooderham and Worts Granary Building (Home of the Chamber of Commerce)
q11 Farquhar Street North
The Central portion of this building was built in 1858 by Gooderham and Worts as a regional grain collection depot for their large Toronto distillery. In the 1990s, it was converted to office space, and is an excellent example of adaptive reuse. Original hand-hewn columns and beams, and wooded cladding of outside walls can still be seen on the ground floor.
2. 10 Carden
10 Carden Street
This beautiful limestone building directly across for the City Hall was formerly Embro Grocery Store. It is now a ‘community hub’, offering affordable space perfect for board meetings, large presentations, workshops, events, parties, smaller scale meetings as well as collaborative and individual work.
3. St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
161 Norfolk Street
Constructed 1857-58 as the second building to serve St. Andrew’s congregation, this Gothic-style church is mediaeval in form and atmosphere with its nave and transepts, its impressive 150-foot spire, and its buttresses, but departs from mediaeval precedents with its centralized pulpit and curved pews. Fine stained-glass windows memorialize the congregation’s leaders
4. Sleeman Centre
50 Woolwich Street
Sleeman Centre is Guelph’s premier location for sports and entertainment events, trade shows and conferences. Home of the Guelph Storm, this modern well equipped facility will showcase the Storm’s dressing room and player area as well as an art exhibit featuring the historic Petrie building.
5. River Run Centre
35 Woolwich Street
Guelph’s signature performing arts centre, located just steps from the historic downtown, features concert hall, a studio theatre and a spectacular lobby with a panoramic view of the Speed River. Guelph Chamber Choir and the River Run are opening the concert hall during rehearsals for a behind the scenes look.
6. Gummer Building
5 Douglas Street
On Easter Weekend of 2007, the Gummer Building, the Victoria Building and the Stewart Drugs Building (all circa 1850-75) were badly damaged in a fire. In the wake of the fire, Skyline purchased all three buildings and has completed a collective redevelopment of the site. Now deemed a heritage site, Skyline has preserved the facades and other features of these buildings, while developing them into a modern, fully accessible, eco-sensitive commercial complex.
7. Red Brick Café
8 and 10 Douglas Street
The "Savage" Building was built in the 1890's and housed an optical store/factory from inception until the 1960's. For most of its life, the 2nd floor, contained offices. The tour will include the Red Brick Café on the first floor and Broadview Press and Red Brick offices on the 2nd Floor.
8. The Tovell Building (Home of Wellington Cakes)
9 Douglas Street
Built in 1878, this is one of the oldest stone commercial buildings remaining in Guelph’s downtown. Once the home of an undertaking business and associated with the most powerful, early Guelph families, it was built of locally quarried limestone in the Late Italianate style. The building is now home to Wellington Cakes, a boutique cupcake and specialty cake shop, dedicated to creating cake into an art form.
9. Canadian Pacific Caboose 436994
Located on siding close to St. Georges Church (Enter off Woolwich Street)
Built in 1941, this wooden-body caboose served the Canadian Pacific Railway for more than 40 years. For the past 19 years, it has been and continues to be beautifully restored by members of the Guelph Historical Railway Association. The inside is now a railway museum on wheels, reflecting the glory days of railroading in the mid-20th century. The group recently completed a $10,000 exterior restoration of the caboose thanks to our members and donors.
10. Wells-Marshall House
100 Queen Street
Circa 1895, this home was custom designed by architect W. Frye Colwill. It sits on a 1/3 acre lot with a wonderful view from the top of the Eramosa hill. This house has been lovingly restored by its’ current owners.
11. Norfolk Guest House (formerly Brill House)
102 Eramosa Road (corner of Queen)
Built in 1865 by James Brill of the Guelph Soap Factory, this fine brick home is now operated as a bed and Breakfast. The house has been restored, maintaining much of its heritage flavour, including fine plaster mouldings and a leather-inlaid front door.
12. Starkey Hill Side Trail
Parking located on south side of Arkell Rd., 1 km. east of hamlet of Arkell, which is 1.5 km east of the south end of Guelph. NTS 682 218
Built by the Guelph Hiking Trail Club in 1973, this 4 km trail is celebrating its 40th anniversary with the Trails Open event. It is easily to see why this is the most popular walk in the Guelph area: in a word, variety: ups and downs on the Paris Moraine, kettle lakes and ponds, a fine hardwood bush and distant views from the hills of Guelph and even Kitchener. Guided hikes led by the Club at 9:30, 11:30, 1:30, 3:30.