In a new twice-monthly feature, Guelph Politico will post the latest inspection results from the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Unit inspection of local restaurants, hotels, cafes, grocery stores and other businesses that handle food. We'll call it "Mangez!", and this column will highlight the latest inspections done by WDGPH, and the results they've posted. Shall we begin with the first half of March...
Here are the inspections done between March 1-15 according to the "Check Before You Choose" website.
*No infractions found
- Ah So Sushi, 117-141 Woolwich St
- Army, Navy and Air Force Veterans, 32 Gordon St
- Avanti Pizza, 17B-218 Silvercreek Pkwy N
- Burger King, 200 Silvercreek Pky N
- Earth To Table Bread Bar, 105 Gordon St
- Einstein's Café, 2 Grant St
- Fionn MacCool's, 494 Edinburgh Rd S
- Guelph YMCA-YWCA - Woodland Glen, 130 Woodland Glen Dr
- Holiday Inn - Gazebo's Restaurant & Lounge, 601 Scottsdale Dr
- Homewood Health Centre, 150 Delhi St
- Jack & Jill Day Nursery, 32 Arnold St
- Kids Come First, 1416 Gordon St
- La Garderie de L'arc-en-ciel, 221 Scottsdale Dr
- Little Folks Montessori Inc., 577 Willow Road
- McCabe's Irish Pub & Grill, 9 Wyndham St N
- Oryan Catering & Event Planning, 705 Speedvale Ave W
- Portions - Distinictive Meals and More Inc, 340 Woodlawn Rd W
- Round Table, 32 Essex St
- Royal City Restaurant, 241 Edinburgh Rd N
- Royal on Gordon, 1691 Gordon St
- Shed Market Inc, 6-1388 Gordon Street
- St. Joseph's Health Centre - ABI Kitchen, 100 Westmount Rd.
- Taskgo, 340 Woodlawn Rd W
- Vienna Eatery, 28 Macdonell St
- Zehrs Markets, 160 Kortright Rd W
- Zehrs Markets - Bento Nouveau, 160 Kortright Rd
- Zoup Campus Estates, 19-35 Harvard Rd
*Non-critical infraction: An infraction (violation) that is not likely to lead to food-borne illness or infection (e.g., lighting is not bright enough for food preparation or work areas).
- Dino and Kidz Early Learning Centre, B1&2-322 Eastview Rd. (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Guelph Lake Commons, 520 Victoria Rd N (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Shakespeare Arms, 35 Harvard Rd (2 Non-Critical Infractions)
- St. Joseph's Health Centre, 100 Westmount Rd (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Tom Yum Thai-Vietnamese Restaurant, 13-35 Harvard Rd (2 Non-Critical Infractions)
- Village of Arbour Trails, 32 Bayberry Drive (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Western Hotel, 72 Macdonell St City of Guelph (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
*Critical infraction: A violation found during an inspection that could be a health hazard.
- Heritage House Retirement Living, 2113 Gordon St City of Guelph (1 Critical, 1 Non-Critical)
- Los Sombreros Authentic Mexican Cuisine, 22-500 Willow Rd (1 Critical)
- Penny Whistle, 2 Quebec St (1 Critical, 2 Non-Critical)
- Pho Saigon Restaurant, 2-240 Silvercreek Pkwy (1 Critical)
- Thanh Phat Asian Grocery, 252 Silvercreek Pky N (3 Critical, 2 Non-Critical)
- U of G - Lennox Addington - LA Pit, 50 Stone Rd E (1 Critical)
- U of G - Prairie Hall, 50 Stone Rd E (2 Critical)
- Wimpy's Diner, 25 Wyndham St N (1 Critical, 2 Non-Critical)
*Immediate threat to Public Health
So what happens if there's an infraction?
After a routine inspection, the operator must correct infractions (violations) as soon as possible. Public Health staff may follow up with a second inspection, known as a re-inspection, depending on how severe the infraction is. Where there is a critical infraction, we re-inspect within 72 hours (3 business days). For infractions that don't pose an immediate risk to the public, we often follow up at the next routine inspection. If an operator doesn't correct all critical infractions by the first re-inspection, we may take legal action. Serious infractions that pose an immediate threat to public health may result in an establishment being closed or Public Health issuing a legal order under the Health Protection and Promotion Act (HPPA).
Curious about the restaurant or establishment you're going to, check out "Check Before You Choose" before you head out the door.